Rewatch Let's remember GSP vs Sean Sherk

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Now that was both GSP and Sherk primes ! Sherk was 31-1 going into this fight !! GSP was on a mission to get that belt and ran through him like he was prelim fighter. Took him down with brute vintage GSP explosiveness and mauled him in the ground. I'm still impressed by his endurance to this day..

Damn he was a violent man. Enjoy sherbros, it was a time where Georges fights were short

I think it's funny that GSP was considered "enormous" for 170 at that time. Clearly they had yet to meet Anthony Johnson.

He was considered a freak athlete but not enormous. Around that time he fought Jayson Miller or Jay Hieron for example, who were as big or bigger than him,

Another story is the weird issue sherbros have with athletic, slender body types, that sherbros always tend to exaggerate their size for some reason. Same happened with Yushin @Royce's Gi Okami who was allegedly huge according to sherBROs yet he was always average sized for MW and actually WW sized by modern standards

Sherk's only lost 4 times in over 40 fights.

He fought a lot in the regionals and got gifted the decision with Dunham in his lst fight.
Anyways, he was a great LW for his time, but the only reasomn he competed at WW is that didnt got money opportunities in his own natural division.

I loved GSP during his title run. I hated his title reign.

Sherk was a natural bantamweight fighting at WW. He looked absolutely dwarfed in there vs GSP. Sherk was second or third best at LW so hindsight this was a total mismatch

Sherk was a natural bantamweight fighting at WW. He looked absolutely dwarfed in there vs GSP. Sherk was second or third best at LW so hindsight this was a total mismatch

He was no natural bantamweight lol, that's laughable. Height doesnt equal size. It's about time you sherbros grasp this.

It would already be a very tough process for him to make the cut to featherweight.

He was indeed undersized at WW though. Only fought there because there wasnt good money opportunities at LW, which was his proper division

He was no natural bantamweight lol, that's laughable. Height doesnt equal size. It's about time you sherbros grasp this.

It would already be a very tough process for him to make the cut to featherweight.

He was indeed undersized at WW though. Only fought there because there wasnt good money opportunities at LW, which was his proper division

Please…who you kidding. With Usada Sherk would’ve been at most an overstuffed featherweight.

I do agree with you that height doesn’t equal weight. Paul Harris, Paulo Filiho, Hector Lombard were good size MW’s and performed very well despite being around 5’7

Shit, even Pride’s Igor stood at 5’8 as fucking HW knocking out men who dwarfed him.

sherk the natty natural lol

Please…who you kidding. With Usada Sherk would’ve been at most an overstuffed featherweight.

I do agree with you that height doesn’t equal weight. Paul Harris, Paulo Filiho, Hector Lombard were good size MW’s and performed very well despite being around 5’7

Shit, even Pride’s Igor stood at 5’8 as fucking HW knocking out men who dwarfed him.

Or Daniel Cormier more recently, who is the average height of LWs yet it's obvious he is not LW sized.

There is a lot of meme with Sean Sherk. Yes, he was very bulked up as a WW when used to weight 180+lbs, then shed a bit but was still cutting from 170-175lbs to make LW.

Could he slim down even more and make the cut to FW? It's possible.

Now, to say he is a "natural BW" and imagine that he would be an slender, slim 135lber is pure fantasy and has not basis whatsoever.

Most recently, Michel Prazeres who is the same height than Sherk was fighting at LW and vs Shavkat at WW. Because some guys just have wide, stocky body types, and Sherk was one of them. You would not see him as a slender, slim BW with or without USADA. That's just not him. It's a fantasy.

Here he speaks about how tough it was for him to make 155lbs:

He fought a lot in the regionals and got gifted the decision with Dunham in his lst fight.
Anyways, he was a great LW for his time, but the only reasomn he competed at WW is that didnt got money opportunities in his own natural division.
I mean, that's not his fault he fought a lot on the regionals. He had to take what he can get and I thought he won rounds 1 and 2 against Dunham.

I might be dead wrong about this but at this time there might not have even been a LW division. I know it disappeared for a few years. Between Penn vs Uno/Pulver and Penn vs Stevenson

Sherk took two rounds off of Hughes in his athletic prime way back in the day, too. Sherk at any weight was very, very good, but 155 was where he should have always been (although the LW division didn't necessarily always exist for that to be the go-to option). The guy was an absolute tank. Was absolutely SHOCKED when he pissed hot...

I might be dead wrong about this but at this time there might not have even been a LW division. I know it disappeared for a few years. Between Penn vs Uno/Pulver and Penn vs Stevenson
Sherk took two rounds off of Hughes in his athletic prime way back in the day, too. Sherk at any weight was very, very good, but 155 was where he should have always been (although the LW division didn't necessarily always exist for that to be the go-to option). The guy was an absolute tank. Was absolutely SHOCKED when he pissed hot...

Thats right in the US. Sherk wasnt the guy to build a division around neither.

Sean wanted to contend in Pride LW division. He fought there once and won. Never got call back because Pride brass didnt like the chance of a roided American wrestler shut down their poster Fireball Kid.

Thats what Sherk guesses at least, and I tend to believe it. Sean would've have been a serious threat for Gomi, or Sakurai, back in the day

Back