Rewatch Let's remember GSP vs Sean Sherk

I think it's funny that GSP was considered "enormous" for 170 at that time. Clearly they had yet to meet Anthony Johnson.
i wonder if all those years of cutting that much weight contributed to his untimely departure. that’s an insane amount of weight to cut.

Thats right in the US. Sherk wasnt the guy to build a division around neither.

Sean wanted to contend in Pride LW division. He fought there once and won. Never got call back because Pride brass didnt like the chance of a roided American wrestler shut down their poster Fireball Kid.

Thats what Sherk guesses at least, and I tend to believe it. Sean would've have been a serious threat for Gomi, or Sakurai, back in the day

Sakurai? Not sure I agree on that one.

Mach did pretty well against wrestlers.

[Insert gif of him knee'ing Trigg into bolvian]

[Then insert gif of him knee'ing Aoki into bolvian because it fills me with joy]

Nah, but you are right.

Are we supposed to be impressed with GSP beating a 5’1 LW?

GSP fans have low standards.

<JonesLaugh>
Are we supposed to be impressed with adesanya getting gifted multiple decisions, without which he’s a 50/50 fighter for the last 5 years?

Or Daniel Cormier more recently, who is the average height of LWs yet it's obvious he is not LW sized.

There is a lot of meme with Sean Sherk. Yes, he was very bulked up as a WW when used to weight 180+lbs, then shed a bit but was still cutting from 170-175lbs to make LW.

Could he slim down even more and make the cut to FW? It's possible.

Now, to say he is a "natural BW" and imagine that he would be an slender, slim 135lber is pure fantasy and has not basis whatsoever.

Most recently, Michel Prazeres who is the same height than Sherk was fighting at LW and vs Shavkat at WW. Because some guys just have wide, stocky body types, and Sherk was one of them. You would not see him as a slender, slim BW with or without USADA. That's just not him. It's a fantasy.

Here he speaks about how tough it was for him to make 155lbs:
He clearly had a large frame, you could see it beneath the muscle. No one his size wins that many fights and becomes champion unless he was at the least close to his natural athletic size

He was considered a freak athlete but not enormous. Around that time he fought Jayson Miller or Jay Hieron for example, who were as big or bigger than him,

Another story is the weird issue sherbros have with athletic, slender body types, that sherbros always tend to exaggerate their size for some reason. Same happened with Yushin @Royce's Gi Okami who was allegedly huge according to sherBROs yet he was always average sized for MW and actually WW sized by modern standards
There were a lot on here claiming he was huge for the division because they wanted him to fight at MW against Anderson. Was a long time ago but some of us oldies remember.

Now that was both GSP and Sherk primes ! Sherk was 31-1 going into this fight !! GSP was on a mission to get that belt and ran through him like he was prelim fighter. Took him down with brute vintage GSP explosiveness and mauled him in the ground. I'm still impressed by his endurance to this day..

Damn he was a violent man. Enjoy sherbros, it was a time where Georges fights were short

I was young when I saw this fight, and after seeing how happy the crowd was I took my Jr High School brother to beat the shit out of an elementary T REK kid to see if I got the same reaction in the crowd....instead..cops and teachers chasing us ...we went LA cop style and ran.

I mean, that's not his fault he fought a lot on the regionals. He had to take what he can get and I thought he won rounds 1 and 2 against Dunham.
Going off of memory alone I had no idea how anyone gave Sherk more than 1 round in that fight. It struck me as one of the most egregiously bad decisions I’d ever seen at the time.

This was back when you could rent recent UFC DVDs at Blockbuster video

I know people who know Sherk and regardless of failing a test he was a supremely hard worker and a great fighter. For some reason Sherdog doesn't like him but in his prime he was very tough. Only lost in championship fights.

He was considered a freak athlete but not enormous. Around that time he fought Jayson Miller or Jay Hieron for example, who were as big or bigger than him

Miller's name is spelled Jason Miller, not Jayson.

Reactions: Gio
Going off of memory alone I had no idea how anyone gave Sherk more than 1 round in that fight. It struck me as one of the most egregiously bad decisions I’d ever seen at the time.
I thought Sherk won the 2nd round with his wrestling and he was landing very crisp combinations early in that round and with about 2:00 minutes left Dunham came alive and started pouring it on but it was too late to win by decision IMO. It's still an awesome fight though.

Total domination in every aspect.

GSP bless

He was considered a freak athlete but not enormous. Around that time he fought Jayson Miller or Jay Hieron for example, who were as big or bigger than him,

Another story is the weird issue sherbros have with athletic, slender body types, that sherbros always tend to exaggerate their size for some reason. Same happened with Yushin @Royce's Gi Okami who was allegedly huge according to sherBROs yet he was always average sized for MW and actually WW sized by modern standards
I remember people calling Okami "huge" and he had fought (Anderson) at 175 just a few months before his UFC debut.

(if I remember the timeline correctly)

I remember people calling Okami "huge" and he had fought (Anderson) at 175 just a few months before his UFC debut.

(if I remember the timeline correctly)

Actually fought Anderson at 175lbs in Jan 2006.
Couple months after fought Jake Shields (and arguably won) at 175lbs.
Couple months after KOed Pancrase champ Takeuchi not at 175 but at 170lbs (~77kg):

1701890301687.png

So Okami fought 3 times at WW the same year he signed for UFC, as a lanky 6'2" who walked around 190lbs.
Bulked up during his UFC stint and used to weight in the high 190s in fight night in his prime. Still never a big MW, let alone huge.

Back