RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Canelo vs Munguia Discussion 5/4 8PM ET Cinco de Mayo (DAZN / Prime Video PPV)

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
Lfdp9oV.jpeg

Saturday 05.04.2024 at 08:00 PM ET
U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View
Promotion: Canelo Promotions
Co-Promoter: Golden Boy Promotions, TGB Promotions, Zanfer Boxing, Clase y Talento
Venue: T Mobile Arena
Enclosure: Ring
Boxing Bouts: 11

Undisputed super middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez returns to action on May 4 with an exciting clash against fellow Mexican Jaime Munguia.

But before the pair go head-to-head in Las Vegas, there are three exciting fights set to take place on the undercard.

In the co-main event, Mario Barrios will make the first defence of his WBC interim welterweight title when he takes on Fabian Maidana, the younger brother of boxing legend Marcos Maidana.

WBC interim featherweight champion Brandon Figueroa is also set to feature in what will be his first contest since beating Mark Magsayo in a 2023 Fight of the Year contender. This fight on May 4 will be Figueroa's first interim title defence and he will be facing former super bantamweight champion Jessie Magdaleno.

Another name which is set to make an appearance on the Las Vegas card is Eimantas Stanionis who will be making a defence of his WBA "regular" welterweight title.

Main Card – PPV (DAZN) / PPV (Prime Video) – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Canelo Álvarez vs. Jaime Munguia
Mario Barrios vs. Fabian Maidana
Brandon Figueroa vs. Jessie Magdaleno
Eimantas Stanionis vs. Gabriel Maestre

Preliminary Card – Prime Video / YouTube – 6:00pm ET / 3:00pm PT
Vito Mielnicki Jr. vs. Ronald Cruz
William Scull vs. Sean Hemphill
Jesus Ramos vs. Johan Gonzalez
Gabriel Valenzuela vs. Jose Angulo
Damien Vazquez vs. David Picasso
Jabin Chollet vs. Julian Bridges
Adrian Torres vs. Arsen Poghosyan​

Both fighters looked to be in great shape at the weigh in .Neither looked drained.

Did they find some crazy tax loophole where its actually better to comp the unsold seats to people than it is to sell them for reasonable prices? Because this fight is hardly sold out but the prices are prices only stupid people, or Saudi princes, would pay.

Did they find some crazy tax loophole where its actually better to comp the unsold seats to people than it is to sell them for reasonable prices? Because this fight is hardly sold out but the prices are prices only stupid people, or Saudi princes, would pay.
Must be something like that. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit.

I know most of the names on the card, but their opponents not so much.

Is this worth it?

Edit. I’m gonna pass after looking at the card

Last edited:
I know most of the names on the card, but their opponents not so much.

Is this worth it?
If it wasn’t a Canelo card, I’d say no.

The strategy for the undercard feels like they are using Canelo’s popularity to get eyes on some showcases to further build/rebuild the recognizable names, but that’s always the way. I tend to agree though that they didn’t put much emphasis into making intriguing matchups to help bolster the overall interest of the entire card. Guess they are counting on Saul and partly Munguias names to do the necessary selling.

Either way I just bought a “new” used work truck cash and 4000$ in vet bills in the same week, so I ain’t buying shit for a while.

Mielnicki has dropped Cruz twice … rd 6 starting now

Why is Ariel Helwani there? He has no idea what he's talking about and has got to be the most unlikable personality in the game.

Good fight with Ramos. Surprised Gonzalez is still in there.

Why is Ariel Helwani there? He has no idea what he's talking about and has got to be the most unlikable personality in the game.
I cant stand that they have that moron there. I have nothing against him besides hes an MMA guy.

Back