RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Canelo vs Munguia Discussion 5/4 8PM ET Cinco de Mayo (DAZN / Prime Video PPV)

Sure, but Canelo has never been knocked down in his career, ate flush shots from GGG and still looks very good and very durable despite being past his prime, so I don’t buy this idea that Benedivez is the one to change all that and stop him. No way.

As for the last part, I’ll throw Froch out there.
-This is not the same Canelo that fought GGG years & years & years ago
-Canelo looked bothered and saw his leg buckle by Munguia's power.
-I don't know if Froch is such a good comparison he was thoroughly beaten by the younger better Ward. But I see your point. He did come back to avenge Kessler loss and some wars with Groves. But I wouldn’t put Groves and Benavidez on the same level. Still stuck to only English/ European fighters post the super 6 after Ward emerged the guy...

-This is not the same Canelo that fought GGG years & years & years ago
-Canelo looked bothered and saw his leg buckle by Munguia's power.
-I don't know if Froch is such a good comparison he was thoroughly beaten by the younger better Ward. But I see your point. He did come back to avenge Kessler loss and some wars with Groves. But I wouldn’t put Groves and Benavidez on the same level. Still stuck to only English/ European fighters post the super 6 after Ward emerged the guy...
- I agree and said the same thing
- Which round - I did not see that
- Ward was just better than everyone, but didn’t test himself like Froch did

Based on what?
My opinion … that’s enough for me … more complete fighter …faster hands, better combos… better head movement … Munguia is a one trick pony (strong and comes forward) and his resume is one of the worst in all boxing… before last night we were comparing Munguia with Berlanga lol…

I'm not sure what separates them. They have similar quality wins.
Plant and Andrade over Ryder any day of the week …. Benavidez has far better head movement and defense … better hand speed and combinations … Munguia is a bull that comes forward and 1 quality win in 43 fights vs a guy that retired right after they fought

Based on what?
Based on the level of opposition Benavidez has. Munguia hasn't have half as good of opposition, despite over performing and looking game as fuck vs Canelo.
Benavidez beat Plant, Dirrell, Andrade; lots of other good boxers.

- I agree and said the same thing
- Which round - I did not see that
- Ward was just better than everyone, but didn’t test himself like Froch did
Who should of Ward fought after he comfortably won the Super 6 to where many people said he was in over his head???
Kovalev was the guy when Ward went up to fight him.
GGG had no plans on moving up at the time & Ward no plans on moving down
There was a small window where a Canelo fight & him coming out of retirement made sense.

Maybe I'm making excuses for him but part of seems post super 6 Ward was stuck between 2 divisions that were weak other than a couple of people. Not to mention the networks ruined and killed everything back then.

My opinion … that’s enough for me … more complete fighter …faster hands, better combos… better head movement … Munguia is a one trick pony (strong and comes forward) and his resume is one of the worst in all boxing… before last night we were comparing Munguia with Berlanga lol…
Agreed
-Better Resume finally
-Bigger
-Stronger
-Faster Hands
-Faster combos
-Seems more durable
-Better pressure
-Thrives when moving forward
-Wont get backed down by Canelo
-Does more damage

Plant and Andrade over Ryder any day of the week …. Benavidez has far better head movement and defense … better hand speed and combinations … Munguia is a bull that comes forward and 1 quality win in 43 fights vs a guy that retired right after they fought
I don't totally disagree, I don't think the gap is that wise though.

*edit- Wide

Last edited:
Who should of Ward fought after he comfortably won the Super 6 to where many people said he was in over his head???
There was a small window where a Canelo fight & him coming out of retirement made sense.

Maybe I'm making excuses for him but part of seems post super 6 Ward was stuck between 2 divisions that were weak other than a couple of people. Not to mention the networks ruined and killed everything back then.

Agreed
-Better Resume finally
-Bigger
-Stronger
-Faster Hands
-Faster combos
-Seems more durable
-Better pressure
-Does more damage
I'm not convinced Benavidez walks down Canelo and walks through his best.Who has Benavidez really fought that can crack? Lemieux? Maybe Dirrell? His last two opponents have been the lightest hitters in the business.

Canelo on the other hand has taken the best from some of the biggest hitters around the weight and barely flinched.

I'm not saying its not possible Benavidez is that guy but Canelo has seen more fighters in the ring like Benavidez than vice versa. I'm not seeing what it is that makes people certain he beats Canelo.

Terrible comparison.
Ones a former World Champion, the other guy a lame dick Nuyorican.
Where's the comparison between these two? That they both have two hands and two feet.

Terrible comparison.
Ones a former World Champion, the other guy a lame dick Nuyorican.
Where's the comparison between these two? That they both have two hands and two feet.
I don’t like Berlanga by any means but why race comes into play whenever you have an opinion? It’s getting old my friend

I don’t like Berlanga by any means but why race comes into play whenever you have an opinion? It’s getting old my friend
Because its Mexico-Puerto Rico and hes not a good representation for Puerto Rico, so I like to make sure people know, hes really a New Yorker.

I'm not convinced Benavidez walks down Canelo and walks through his best.Who has Benavidez really fought that can crack? Lemieux? Maybe Dirrell? His last two opponents have been the lightest hitters in the business.

Canelo on the other hand has taken the best from some of the biggest hitters around the weight and barely flinched.

I'm not saying its not possible Benavidez is that guy but Canelo has seen more fighters in the ring like Benavidez than vice versa. I'm not seeing what it is that makes people certain he beats Canelo.
Thats fair. That's what makes it the most interesting fight in boxing. 2 "Mexican Style" sluggers that want to come forward.

I just think its a bit dismissive for some to think Benavidez won't have a real shot at overwhelming anybody smaller than him at this point. Some of the hype is certainly real.
Even if he did stop Morrell or Mal Charlo people would still say they aren't close to Canelo's level.
Guess only one way to find out.

Theyre pretty damn similar imo. Benavidez hand speed is much better, but he quite literally does not have head movement. Hence why he gets blasted with shots he doesnt see coming in nearly every fight.

I love to watch Benavidez but he is not the terminator hes being made out to be. Canelo will be an incredibly difficult puzzle for him to solve. Its like people are intentionally forgetting that Canelo is damn, damn good at basically every style. If he wants to box Benavidez ears off for 12 rounds, walk him down, sit and counter, the dude has an enormous toolbox. And hes got an ungodly chin to top it off. Granted, those all only can last so long.

Canelo is beyond his best years, but he is still a significantly better boxer than Benavidez, and has beaten many better opponents than Benavidez is.

Agreed
-Better Resume finally
-Bigger
-Stronger
-Faster Hands
-Faster combos
-Seems more durable
-Better pressure
-Does more damage
Ward lost three years to Goossen, but yeah, he was dominant when active.

Which round did Mungia buckle Canelo’s legs?

Ward lost three years to Goossen, but yeah, he was dominant when active.

Which round did Mungia buckle Canelo’s legs?
I can't remember. But I believe I posted it in the live thread when it happened.

I'm not sure what separates them. They have similar quality wins.
Thanks for once again demonstrating how little you understand boxing. You have been watching for decades and still don't understand what separates Benavidez from Mungia. lol. One thing is for sure, Canelo does.

Back