Should Chris Weidman be in the UFC Hall of Fame?

Should Chris Weidman be in the UFC Hall of Fame?

• Total voters
I don't think so. Great career and was champion, but the Hall should be reserved for the absolute best of the best. Not a knock on him, I just don't think he ever got to that level.. maybe if he had a few more defenses.

I believe so.

What he did to Anderson Silva and stopped his massive long streak reign in defending the belt, I believe was nothing short of amazing.

Hope he retires as well. He paid his dues and more.

silva-weidman.gif
I hate this question.

Because he obviously does NOT deserve it. He barely got the belt but lost far too fast.
If beating SIlvs gets you in the HoF, then all 10 other guys should be there too...including Azeredo, Takase or Chonan....

But then again, in a fucking place where a T-Shirt Manufactorer is in the HoF, anyone who EVER practiced MMA should be there as well...

Beating ando twice when he beat him should be enough to get him in.

Frank Shamrock only fought in the ufc 5 times... why the fuck would they put him in the HOF? Because he beat Tito once?
First ever LHW champ, P4P #1 during his reign, defended the belt multiple times, and starched Tito in an iconic fight.

I mean is every champion going to the hall of fame? It’s going to be an awful long list of hall of famers in 50 years. They should limit this thing to 2 or 3 people a year get in after they retire.

If Rashad and Bisping are in the hall of fame then I don’t see why Chris can’t. The Silva ko was an iconic moment. He held the title and headline PPVs and defended it. He was a good champion during his reign. You could make argument and probably make good point why he shouldn’t, I agree with that. But they already have fighters in the hall with a comparable resume to him.

Reactions: mkt
But then again, in a fucking place where a T-Shirt Manufactorer is in the HoF, anyone who EVER practiced MMA should be there as well...

I don't think that's too odd, considering the amount of exposure his merch brought to the sport. They just need separate categories, like other leagues have. Have like a business/promoter wing, or something.

As for Weidman, once you start doing the HOF thing with a very limited talent pool in a very young sport to draw from and put in there, guys like Weidman will make it in by default. There are probably already guys in there with even less notoriety than being the guy to end Silva's streak.

If Mask is there then even Andy Wang should be.

No, but the UFC HOF is a complete fucking joke, probably.

He should definitely be in. At his peak, he was 13-0 with 3 title defenses and the distinction of having ended Silva's streak.

There are guys with fewer defenses like Rashad, Forrest, Serra, and Bisping in the HOF. They all had 0 or 1 defense with perhaps the only additional noteworthy accomplishment having been winning their respective seasons of TUF. As the sport ages, they'll have to raise the bar at some point, but for now, Weidman should be a lock.

Aren’t there non champs and champs who never defended in the HoF? If so, it’s no question.

Not a chance. Age of 32 was destroyed by Rockhold. Age of 33 was destroyed by Yoel Romero. Age of 34 was destroyed by Gegard. You can't have a guy in the HOF who got beat up badly during his absolute peak three times in a row. I'm sure he had some injuries during that period (I don't remember), but guess what, so does everyone else. Nice run, great fighter and a champ but he, along with some others, isn't HOF worthy. Everyone says well so and so is in the HOF. Many of those so and so people were early in the game and deserved it for helping to create a sport or establish mainstream TV presence. That time is over and if a fighter gets in it should be because you were the elite of the elite.

depends on what your HOF criteria is

in my opinion, he had a good run and faded. Coincidently or not, post USADA Weidman didnt do jack, which leaves some questions ofc

So, no. A good fighter, but not a HOF in my book

Back