Volkanovski vs. Topuria is Probably the Most Interesting Fight on the Horizon

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
Man, this a a really good one for several different reasons. Volkanovski by all means should be a solid favorite heading into this but I feel like even the biggest Volk fans seem to have a slight shred of doubt. Not because of the loss to Islam, Islam is one of the top p4p fighters and Volk took it on ten days notice a weight class above. It’s more because Topuria is his own right is an absolute monster. His combos are fast, precise, and lethal and he throws fight ending punches with little to no telegraphing. It’s completely within reason that Ilia could KO Volk, who will have to keep his chin on notice at all times.

TLDR; Volkanovski vs. Topuria will answer questions about both fighters that everyone seems to have, one of the best fights officially booked right now.

Unless Volk has somehow dropped off dramatically, he should make this look fairly easy.
In my opinion that’s one of the intriguing storylines about this fight. Volk is at the age fighters often drop off seemingly overnight and is also coming off a pretty brutal KO loss just 3 months prior. There’s reason to wonder if maybe he won’t be the same guy. But I agree, if Volk is still Volk he probably gets it done without too much trouble.

Unless Volk has somehow dropped off dramatically, he should make this look fairly easy.
Easy? Really?.

I'm going to drop my gimmick as Sherdog's Official Top-Man Hype Man for a second and acknowledge that Volk, being in my opinion, as good a fighter as more famous all time greats, might actually pull one of his famous five round decisions off. But sure is not going to be easy.

Yeah it's a great fight

However not hating but.. when have we seen Topuria be "an absolute monster"?

His performance against Emmet was good but not out of this world, and he beat Bryce but less convincingly than Emmet.

And then there are the Herbert and Hall fights.

Am I missing something? Surely he has ton of potential but I'm not too sure his record tells the story yet

I got Volk in this one

I watched Topuria's last three fights, and concur.

He struggled with Bryce Mitchell, who would get trashed by Volkanovski.

I think Volk is tougher and quicker.

One thing I noticed about Topuria is he loads-up on every shot he throws — basically telegraphing everything.

That is not going to bode well against Volk, who is quick, precise, and outboxed the ship out of Holloway.

Volk was a tiny guy in front of Makhachev, he's not can it be all that tiny against Topuria.

Topuria is young, but I still think Volk is a tougher and more seasoned fighter.

I think Topuria wilts and loses.

I definitely agree.

I think Volk is going to be slower than usual this fight, as a result it's going to be a gritty war. (Prime volk wrecks Top, but this isn't prime volk).

I think if it gets into the grappling exchanges, Volk is going to scramble end up on top and put on a beat down. Stand up it'll be back and forth, but could see Top outpointed the aging Volk.

Previously I picked Top, but Volk seems to be back on track mentally and with his training since Islam.

Picking Volk by SD, he makes it a dirty fight, just got that feeling.

I watched Topuria's last three fights, and concur.

He struggled with Bryce Mitchell, who would get trashed by Volkanovski.

I think Volk is tougher and quicker.

One thing I noticed about Topuria is he loads-up on every shot he throws — basically telegraphing everything.

That is not going to bode well against Volk, who is quick, precise, and outboxed the ship out of Holloway.

Volk was a tiny guy in front of Makhachev, he's not can it be all that tiny against Topuria.

Topuria is young, but I still think Volk is a tougher and more seasoned fighter.

I think Topuria wilts and loses.

Topuria struggled against Bryce?

I definitely agree.

I think Volk is going to be slower than usual this fight, as a result it's going to be a gritty war. (Prime volk wrecks Top, but this isn't prime volk).

I think if it gets into the grappling exchanges, Volk is going to scramble end up on top and put on a beat down. Stand up it'll be back and forth, but could see Top outpointed the aging Volk.

Previously I picked Top, but Volk seems to be back on track mentally and with his training since Islam.

Picking Volk by SD, he makes it a dirty fight, just got that feeling.

Watch them stand and face off with each other, Volkanovski is by far the more durable man. The size of his neck and head.

Topuria seems fragile when standing next to Volk, and he telegraphs his punches, unlike Makhachev.

So I think speed, timing, (ultimately) durability are going to be big factors.

Last edited:
Easy? Really?.

I'm going to drop my gimmick as Sherdog's Official Top-Man Hype Man for a second and acknowledge that Volk, being in my opinion, as good a fighter as more famous all time greats, might actually pull one of his famous five round decisions off. But sure is not going to be easy.
Just like how he was lucky to get the decision over Max in their second fight and was really going to struggle with Max's boxing if they fought again? Yeah, remind me again... how did that work out for Max?

Volk has a habit of making great fighters look absolutely terrible.

My only doubt in volk is because he just got knocked out. Stylistically he is a nightmare for topuria, but if his chin is soft from that islam headkick.....who knows.

Topuria struggled against Bryce?

Not really, but he definitely was wary of the takedown and got hit clean more than he should have by bryce. He also seemed confused when bryce would switch southpaw, and he did give up a takedown. I'd say that's not a big deal because Bryce is a pretty good wrestler, but at the same time, when you give up a takedown to the only wrestler you've faced in the UFC, I do tend to question how you'll react to the takedown threats of better guys who mix things up. There's still some unknowns with topuria due to the fact that he hasn't faced much high level competition.

Last edited:
Would love a vintage Volk dominating performance …. But I think tuporia is going to finish him …. Tuporia is a beast whether you like
Him or not

My only doubt in volk is because he just got knocked out. Stylistically he is a nightmare for topuria, but if his chin is soft from that islam headkick.....who knows.

Volk, 35, took a bad knockout in his last fight, has been jumping up and down in weight classes. Ilia is about as athletically gifted and technically skilled as a prospect can get, not without his holes but he's 26 and still improving. It's a cool fight, I think Topuria can shut down Volks wrestling near completely while he's fresh and I think in the pocket he's dangerous the same way Mendes was able to catch Volk.

I favor Volk but what I expected to be a shutout talking about this however long ago, now I think it's real close.

As long as Topuria has been putting solid work into low kick defense/checks he's gonna be too much for Volk.

Yeah it's a great fight

However not hating but.. when have we seen Topuria be "an absolute monster"?

His performance against Emmet was good but not out of this world, and he beat Bryce but less convincingly than Emmet.

And then there are the Herbert and Hall fights.

Am I missing something? Surely he has ton of potential but I'm not too sure his record tells the story yet

I got Volk in this one

That Emmet fight was pretty impressive, especially seeing the power Emmet has. He completely outclassed him everywhere for 5 rounds ,out boxed him, stood in the pocket with him, took him to the ground. Obviously Volk is in a class of his own, but you can’t really do much better than that against someone like Emmett. Showed he could go all 5 rounds too

As long as Topuria has been putting solid work into low kick defense/checks he's gonna be too much for Volk.
That’s what I’m thinking. If he can’t make sure those leg kicks don’t become an issue, I like his chances

Back