Volkanovski vs. Topuria is Probably the Most Interesting Fight on the Horizon

At that weight, age really matters. It’s a tougher fight for Volk than many are giving credit for. I’m a big fan of Volk but this is a tough fight.

The Volk that took Islam to the final bell will outlast Topuria in terms of stamina. Based on MMA math, Volk finished Yair who finished Josh. Topuria wasn't able to put Josh away. That's something I'm thinking about going into this. Unless Volk has lost a step (and yes we might see it any fight now), I think he wins this, maybe even dominantly. I don't even know if Topuria could get past Yair to be honest, but I suppose he's earned his title shot.

Last edited:
At that weight, age really matters. It’s a tougher fight for Volk than many are giving credit for. I’m a big fan of Volk but this is a tough fight.

Volk looked as good as ever in his last two fights with full camps. He shut yair out less than 6 months ago. I'm not as worried about volk's age as I am his chin and mindset after that bad head kick.

Ask Juiced up Chad Mendez how he feels about your as usual clown opinion there m8
Someone needs a hug?

How many one punch KO's does Volk have? I'll wait.....

Last edited:
a guy with 13 knockouts has less power than a guy with 4 knockouts

This reads like a Wikipedia/fight finder opinion.

Topuria undoubtedly has some of the heaviest hands in the UFC right now. The Jai Herbert KO was particularly brutal. He didn’t just clip his chin he made him look like human tumbleweed.

This reads like a Wikipedia/fight finder opinion.

Topuria undoubtedly has some of the heaviest hands in the UFC right now. The Jai Herbert KO was particularly brutal. He didn’t just clip his chin he made him look like human tumbleweed.
he's 145. he doesn't have anywhere close to the heaviest hands in the UFC lol

People are not realizing that mind > physicality in this business.
Most recent example is Marcin Prachnio vs William Knight - Prachnio is nothing special and was smaller than Will but Knight wasn't present at all in this bout so he was comfortably outpointed.

Volk as talented as he is isn't at right place in his mind right now - he even admitted this.
He was never on losing streak, he want to prove something and want quick turnaround but after KO it isn't that good idea.

Alex peaked either in third Max fight (or Max was that shitty that day - we don't know that) or in Islam fight when he was on Islam's level but even if he optically looked better he lost fair and square.

You can't be always on top. I think that this fight will show us where Volk is standing. His prime may be over and he is fighting elite fighter in Topuria who is young and hungry.

I have feeling that Alex lost a step and will be on downward spiral right now and will lose against Ilia.
Just like recently Aljo lost to O'Malley who isn't even on his level but just lost. Or Izzy vs Sean. You can only be on top for so long.
So I agree - it is truly amazing fight at 2nd best division in UFC.

My only doubt in volk is because he just got knocked out. Stylistically he is a nightmare for topuria, but if his chin is soft from that islam headkick.....who knows.
yea people are forgetting there are levels to this thing. Islam is at the highest level and makes insanely talented guys(Olivera, Ramos, Arman etc) look average. Volkanovski on a good day is nearly as good as Islam. Its one thing meating the Bryce and Dustin's of the world but so many promising you fighter crumble once they face the highest level and I think Volk is about to show how good he is. Even as a huge Islam fan I think skill wise volk might be better aka wins at the same size he wins

As good as Volks striking is, hes still fairly hittable. Max rocked him twice, Mendes hurt him bad, Ortega hit him with good shots and seemed to maybe have rocked him, and even in the first fight Islam was consistently landing shots that seemed to wobble him.

If Topuria is able to land something big, especially after the KO that just happened, it might be a disaster for Volk

People saying volk wins with wrestling/grappling shows how low is their knowledge in this sport.

Ilia will dominate him and not because volk is not in prime anymore it just bcs ilia is better fighter you will see it on fight night

My only doubt in volk is because he just got knocked out. Stylistically he is a nightmare for topuria, but if his chin is soft from that islam headkick.....who knows.
Ilia is nightmare for volk better wrestling better boxing :)

Yeah it's a great fight

However not hating but.. when have we seen Topuria be "an absolute monster"?

His performance against Emmet was good but not out of this world, and he beat Bryce but less convincingly than Emmet.

And then there are the Herbert and Hall fights.

Am I missing something? Surely he has ton of potential but I'm not too sure his record tells the story yet

I got Volk in this one

I thought he looked like a monster with Bryce. Emmett was one punch. With Bryce he dominated and showed insane pace.

a guy with 13 knockouts has less power than a guy with 4 knockouts
This shows these casuals didnt even watch fights :D most of it are tkos and volk has 28 fight ilia has only 14 volk has 10 decision wins ilia has only 2 dec rest is 4 KO 8 sub

The Volk that took Islam to the final bell will outlast Topuria in terms of stamina. Based on MMA math, Volk finished Yair who finished Josh. Topuria wasn't able to put Josh away. That's something I'm thinking about going into this. Unless Volk has lost a step (and yes we might see it any fight now), I think he wins this, maybe even dominantly. I don't even know if Topuria could get past Yair to be honest, but I suppose he's earned his title shot.
You have no idea about fighting if u think yair is better fighter than ilia (same yair who got fucked up by old edgar out of prime zombie and max holloways wrestling) ilia just kos or wrestle fucks whim anytime he wants

You have no idea about fighting if u think yair is better fighter than ilia (same yair who got fucked up by old edgar out of prime zombie and max holloways wrestling) ilia just kos or wrestle fucks whim anytime he wants
Ilia has never fought Frankie Edgar, Max Holloway, or Korean Zombie. We don't know how he would do in those same circumstances. Also, what year were those fights? You don't think Yair has improved since then? Fact remains: Ilia could't TKO or sub Josh in 5 rounds and Yair did in 2. I have nothing against Topuria, just listing the facts.

Back