Opinion MAID is Not Only Unethical, It's Murder

Yes it is.

There isn’t some magic system outside the brain that constitutes the mind. It’s the brain.

No, it isn't. Conscious experience isn't the brain. You can believe it's produced by the brain, but it absolutely isn't the same as the brain.

No, it isn't. Conscious experience isn't the brain. You can believe it's produced by the brain, but it absolutely isn't the same as the brain.

It’s all part of your brain. It’s not magic. When your brain stops functioning you are no longer conscious.

What else is it then? Magic?

It’s all part of your brain. It’s not magic. When your brain stops functioning you are no longer conscious.

Is the light projected on a movie screen the same as the projector?

Is the light projected on a movie screen the same as the projector?

Exactly, you’re describing the physical system that makes up a film projection.

Are you arguing the light is magic and not a part of the physical projection system? Where do you think the light is coming from?

There has been some recent preliminary evidence that consciousness persists at least a small measure or time after the point of brain death.

This is a fascinating area of study, as is anesthesiology. Many anesthesiologists have expressed concerns about the idea of putting people under, because there's no guarantee the same person comes back.

There has been some recent preliminary evidence that consciousness persists at least a small measure or time after the point of brain death.

This is a fascinating area of study, as is anesthesiology. Many anesthesiologists have expressed concerns about the idea of putting people under, because there's no guarantee the same person comes back.

Pretty thin evidence. Seems like just another example of a psychical system like a muscle twitching after death.

Pretty thin evidence. Seems like just another example of a psychical system like a muscle twitching after death.

I did say it was preliminary, at most it suggests that further study is needed

Had suicide prevention training at work today. Dipshits in this thread would probably argue "why are we preventing it?"

As someone who has been fighting the good fight against mental illness for over 30 years, this makes me sad to see.... I get the desire to do it, but, we should not facilitate it with mental illness. The onus and responsibility should remain with the sufferer. You cannot stop someone from doing it if they wish, but that doesn't mean you should help them with it. That is a gross mistake imho. The line will then just keep being pushed, and who knows where it will lead if this starts becoming mainstream.

As a healthy person suicide is something that has always confused me. If you really want to end it, why do you need help? There's gotta be some relatively easy ways with pill cocktails to do it yourself, I'd imagine.

Why go the extra mile to make it even easier for them?

I would contest this based on the fact that the article itself explicitly makes the distinction and says "Physically healthy"

yeah and mentally how was she??

clearly not well.

The mind and the physical state of the brain aren't the same. Also it's not moving goalposts. Physically healthy is healthy. Being nihilistic shit bags doesn't suit you.

The mind and brain are the same thing. The mind is not some magic thing. Mental health issues are issues of the brain.

If the mind isn’t your brain functioning what is it? A spell you casted with magic?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luminous Knight
Back