DDP v Strickland - Who you got & Why?

Chaotic Progressor

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
My mind says Strickland, my heart says DDP;

Strickland is a much sharper striker - good movement, accurate and actually slippery defence (Izzy couldn't hit him clean) for the most part. Wheras DDP moves clumbisly and awkwardly, easy to hit and his shots don't look like anything, yet we saw how easily he put Whittaker down with what looked like a 60% jab.

If I play the fight out in my head, based on their styles and attributes... I see Strickland piecing DDP up. But, my gut (heart & gut involved now) kind of thinks DDP will find a way to win, despite all his flaws, he may be a lil too big and awkward, and seems to have a lot of heart.

I dunno. 60/40 Strickland. I got some coin on Strickland by TKO, round 2 or 3.

DDP. Looks to me like a better version of Sean, with a few more dimensions to his game.

Hoping for a dogfight war that ends late and makes the Just Bleed God proud.

DDP by 4th round sub.

DDP. i've been backing him since before the Whittaker fight. he's the most dangerous MW right now in my opinion just because he's powerful and he won't handcuff himself because he's afraid of gassing. that's a big difference between DDP and a lot of other power strikers. i doubt it will be easy though.

DDP. Looks to me like a better version of Sean, with a few more dimensions to his game.

Hoping for a dogfight war that ends late and makes the Just Bleed God proud.

DDP by 4th round sub.

Same.

DDP has bullet holes in his game, but he's aggressive as fuck, and Sean only really excels when he gets respect.

I don't think he gets respect for very long in this fight.

Tough fight to predict. Sean has only been finished twice, once by a huge kickboxer who's now the LHW champ. He's not the kind of guy who tends to fade or make a big mistake later in the fight, which is where DDP tends to excel.

DDP is like a better version of Keith Jardine, with a stronger chin and more finishing ability. He's awkward and doesn't tend to dominate his opponents. He's also a bit like prime Tony Ferguson in that he starts slow but really shines later in the fight. But again, Sean easily went 5 rounds with Izzy and isn't the kind of guy who wears down easily.

I give the mental edge to DDP, and gun to my head, would probably pick DDP to find a way to win like he usually does. But it's not a fight I'd want to bet on.

I think this fight will be dictated by Sean's style and pace and I don't think there's anything Dricus can do about it but get sucked in and outpointed. Strickland by decision.

Strickland is going to fight like he always fights, with small tweaks to offset his opponents' movement, point of attack and offense. If DDP can't circle away, keep him at range and get him out of his face, he's going to be at a huge disadvantage as he'll be throwing strikes moving backward and expending more energy fighting off of his back foot, a problem for a guy who has shown gas tank issues in the past.

That said, DDP is awkward, throws with odd timing, at weird angles and is a tank, so he could feasibly land outside of Sean's straight forward, chin up, shell and shoulder roll defensive approach. Sean would be smart to still use his front kick to push Dricus back to allow him to dictate just enough space to land his own offense and stop DDP from starting his.

Sean should wrestle, he won't. Sean should mix it up more offensively and be more defensively minded outside of the shell and roll, I doubt he will as it takes away from his forward style

DDP will throw heavy and look to get him out of there early. I don't know if it'll happen. I'm leaning 60/40 Sean due to gas tank and defense, giving Dricus a chance to finish him early or land a big, fight changing strike to start which could alter the fight in his favor, as he's the better athlete, more explosive and doesn't rely on traditional setups or timing to land. Fun fight on paper.

I’m thinking Dricus gets it done. I think the finishing ability will be too much. I think people tend to overlook his skills because he looks goofy and awkward. I get that there is technique but I just don’t see Sean having an easy time bullying and pressuring DDP to a decision. DDP will hurt him at some point and I don’t see Sean able to do that to DDP. The one thing that worries me for DDP is the cardio going into the 4th and 5th rounds

I think it all depends if DDP can land TDs, which I tend to think he’s powerful enough to get them

Dudes Gnp is nasty and he has a knack to grab at opportunistic submissions when they present themselves

Of course, if Sean gets to be his “slippery” self and avoid the big shots in the pocket and stay-upright on TD attempts, he could take this fight in a favorable decision

DDP 70>30

I just want ddp to win because for all the shit he talks, Strickland is the biggest point fighter in the sport

Back