Ilia Topuria is a serious puncher.

I think a lot of ppl will get hurt once his wrasslin is "exposed"

...My biggest question for Ilia is how did he get so good training out of no-name gyms.

My 2 cents:

Big name gym: the focus is shared b/t the fighter and the gym, from camp day-1 through fight night. Media makes headlines out of gym announcements. Announcers name the gym in pre-fight hoopla.

Fighter gym: the focus is the fighter. No headlines. The gym gets a cut, and eventually the gym makes a choice: stay low, or get fame.

Me? Gimme dat fighter gym. If I win big, I'll pay them well. If they stay low, then my gym never has the drama bullshit and preening and posturing that all big name gyms have.

As far as fighting goes, there are highly trained fighters and trainers scattered across the globe. The skillset is not a tightly held secret.
What really matters is the time and the work.

Topuria appears to be a focused, disciplined, crisp finisher. Compact, tight, fast, grounded, good base.
I agree with a previous post: if you are going to fight at that level, and you are able to think and function at that level, you may as well finish the process of training to get hit less.
Against Bryce, I saw Topuria slip a few. I also saw Topuria get blasted a coupla times. By Bryce of all people.

Absolute monster.
Has the looks to be the star as well.

He punches the flu into you.

Yep.

I didn't see no flu on Bryce before the fight.

Then Topuria punched Bryce like eleventy twelve times.

I can only conclude that Topuria punched flu into Bryce.

To me, Sherdog's weakness has always been it's inability to recognize sheer genius. Yep has it. You need to listen to this man. Or 17 year old girl. Or 12 year old cheetoh eater. Whatever Yep is, you need to pay attention.

Absolute monster.
Has the looks to be the star as well.

This above is post 23.

Post 22 and 24 were not ghey.

I'm attempting to dodge guilt by association.

That avatar is the kind of thing posted by people who have never actually seen a female naked.

A problem in American society is that we have become too tolerant of psychopaths.

Thx.

Dunno why Topuria wasn't a serious favorite. He's going to be a problem for the top guys in both divisions. He knows how to find the button.

Has big problems with lengthy guys and sus gas tank. See Jai Herbert and Zelal. Gassed in both fights, spit out his mouth piece. Took hard shots against Jai in particular and panic wrestled. He has zero future at LW, and I have no clue why this myth persists. First guy who can avoid the brawl and make him work to a decision will win. I was picking Bryce, but I didn’t realize how shitty his striking was. Live and learn, I guess. When Bryce did get Topuria down, he kept him there without much problem, despite the fact that everyone thought the grappling would be a wash.

Reminds me of cody garbrandt but with more control and well roundedness.

They need let this dude crush paddy and start putting some hype behind him

That LHK from Herbert was timed so well. He caught Ilia shifting his weight into the kick and still wasn't able to knock him out. Ilia reminds me of Fedor with his ferocity, power, well-roundedness and fight IQ. He definitely deserves the hype.

Definitely agree. I think the liver shot hurt Herbert before the KO as he freezes for a second and drops his hands low. A solid liver shot like that spasms up your diaphragm and makes you gasp for air.

My biggest question for Ilia is how did he get so good training out of no-name gyms.
Wanna hear better? He had boxing coach only for 6 months after that he and his brother were watching videos and trying to learn from it :D

Illia is a fun fighter and I like watching him fight, so don't take my criticism as hate. That said, I think he loads up too much. If he has natural power, why load up? He's accurate enough to just tag these dudes and combo them up. Jai Herbert gave him a really tough fight, in fact he was going to lose until he got the KO.

Max and Volk give him all he can handle imo. Hope he gets at least another two fights before facing either of them. Also keep this man away from Arnold Allen. Giga would probably be a solid test. If Giga can out strike Illia, I want to see where his IQ is at and see how/if he applied his grappling.

It's too bad Emmett is matched up with Yair, that has vicious KO written all over it, regardless of who delivers it. Shit the Yair match up is sick too. Future is full of fun match ups for Topuria.

Illia is a fun fighter and I like watching him fight, so don't take my criticism as hate. That said, I think he loads up too much. If he has natural power, why load up? He's accurate enough to just tag these dudes and combo them up. Jai Herbert gave him a really tough fight, in fact he was going to lose until he got the KO.

Max and Volk give him all he can handle imo. Hope he gets at least another two fights before facing either of them. Also keep this man away from Arnold Allen. Giga would probably be a solid test. If Giga can out strike Illia, I want to see where his IQ is at and see how/if he applied his grappling.

It's too bad Emmett is matched up with Yair, that has vicious KO written all over it, regardless of who delivers it. Shit the Yair match up is sick too. Future is full of fun match ups for Topuria.
Lol.

Back