Pre-fight discussion UFC Fight Night 240: Allen vs. Curtis 2 Sat. April 6 ESPN+ main 6pm et, prelims 3pm et

Planning to watch

• All of it

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Most of it

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Some of it

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Check The Kick: Atlantic City Robberies, UFC Vegas 90 Preview​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

DEVIN TEJADA APR 2, 2024 COMMENTS
Devin is back to recap the controversial UFC Atlantic City card, give some first thoughts on the newly announced Saudi Arabia event, and preview a couple of the top fights from this weekend's UFC Fight Night 240.

0:00 Intro
----- OUT WITH THE OLD
0:33 Manon Fiorot gets past Erin Blanchfield
17:08 Joaquin Buckley buries Vicente Luque
25:53 Chris Weidman looks great...sort of
----- WHAT'S HOT
38:21 The UFC's Saudi Arabia card
----- IN WITH THE NEW
44:25 Alexander Hernandez vs. Damon Jackson
54:21 Chris Curtis vs. Brendan Allen

As an addendum, to my previous post..

I can’t find that Norma chasing Chandler gif. I just blew a spliff. Can anybody help me out, please? I don’t know if I want to deal with that search function, right now, alright.

C1OdY1H.gif
Can you slow that down a tad, please.

lol

Again.. I could slow that down myself. But I just got back from another puff.

But, thank you so much @Luthien

True story..

I’ve been trying to post the kid dancing on the jumbotron gif. To reply to you posting at a proper speed. I “optimized”, and “reduced” the size of the gif .. Twice each..

I could have slowed that shit down myself quicker than fucking around on ezgif dot com. What a pisser.

I still don’t have the kid on dancing on jumbotron file small enough to post..

You could have posted the proper speed the first time.

I’m high, alright.

Thank you.

1712121908333.gif

Preview: UFC Fight Night 240 Prelims​

McGee vs. Morono​

TOM FEELY APR 3, 2024 COMMENTS

The UFC's last stop at the Apex before UFC 300 has a surprisingly solid slate of prelims. Welterweight veterans take the featured spot, as Court McGee and Alex Morono square off in a well-matched fight, and it's also a big night for the women's bantamweight division: former featherweight champ Germaine de Randamie returns after three and a half years off to take on Norma Dumont, and a bout between Nora Cornolle and Melissa Dixon could set the winner up for a big spot. Past that is the return of Cynthia Calvillo, who looks to stop her years-long skid against Piera Rodriguez; other than that, it's the usual mix of Contender Series alumni trying to carve out a niche.

Welterweights​

Court McGee (21-12) vs. Alex Morono (23-9, 1 N/C)

ODDS: Morono (-298), McGee (+240)

This should be a fun fight between two veteran welterweights looking to get back into the win column. Court McGee is still chugging along, which has been the story of his life; a former addict that was once declared clinically dead, McGee found mixed martial arts and won Season 11 of TUF about three years into his professional career and has since been open about using his platform to help others. As a fighter, "The Crusher" has gotten by on solid fundamentals and that special level of toughness to win some grimy fights, with the guarantee that both McGee and his opponent would be in for fifteen tough minutes; from 2011 through 2021, the only one of McGee's fights that didn't see the final horn was a 2016 loss to Santiago Ponzinibbio. Even in his late thirties, McGee was looking as sharp as ever in workmanlike wins over Claudio Silva and Ramiz Brahimaj, but the worry is that his durability might finally begin to be betraying him; a knockout loss to powerhouse Jeremiah Wells wasn't exactly unexpected but following that up with another knockout loss to fellow veteran Matt Brown is concerning. Alex Morono might make for a safer opponent, though "The Great White" still has enough craft to be dangerous. A fairly unremarkable fighter upon his UFC debut in 2016, Morono's carved out a niche as someone who can have a fun fight with any welterweight in the division. Clearly a subpar athlete with a game that often looks a bit unorthodox, Morono's a smart game planner that can usually find some strong moments in each of his fights, even as he consistently runs up against a physical wall. A 2022 loss to Santiago Ponzinibbio is probably the clearest recent example of Morono's strengths and weaknesses; Morono was clearly staying ahead in the fight for two rounds, only for Ponzinibbio to steel himself and ramp up the aggression to find a third-round knockout. McGee's wrestling could be a bit of a concern here, but this does look like a fight where Morono's pot-shotting approach on the feet can find a lot of success, if not an outright knockout; the pick is Morono via decision.

Jump To »
McGee vs. Morono
Dumont vs. de Randamie
Alateng vs. Silva
Rodriguez vs. Calvillo
Argueta vs. Matsumoto
Budka vs. Almeida
Cornolle vs. Dixon

By The Numbers: Brendan Allen vs. Chris Curtis​

ABHISHEK NAMBIAR APR 3, 2024 COMMENTS

Following a trip to Atlantic City for UFC on ESPN 54, the incessant cascade of events continues this weekend with a pit stop at the home base in Las Vegas for UFC Fight Night 240, a 13-fight extravaganza, spotlighting a captivating rematch in the middleweight division.

The main event pits middleweight standout Brendan Allen against Chris Curtis in a rematch of their initial encounter in December 2021. The narrative of the matchup is as clear as day — Allen yearning for vindication, while the indomitably determined Curtis endeavors to replicate their previous bout’s outcome. When the pair last crossed paths, “The Action Man” secured a Round 2 technical knockout. Allen, perennially earmarked as a prospective challenger, has demonstrated the synthesis of his skills in recent fights, catapulting him up the divisional hierarchy in consequence. Will Curtis stop the ascending middleweight or will Allen continue on his streaking path by vanquishing the loss to the 36-year-old are questions that will be answered when the pair throw down on April 6 at the Apex. Before that, let’s take a look at some statistical intricacies that bind the fighters together:

7: With seven finishes, Allen occupies the No. 9 spot in the middleweight rankings for most finishes in history.

6: Allen occupies the second spot on the 185-pound ladder for most submission wins with six to his credit.

5: “All In” is also ninth on the list for best win streak, having rattled off five wins between February 2022 and November 2023.

54%: Allen exhibits 54% striking accuracy which complements his submission-heavy approach.

46%: Allen exhibits commendable defense, highlighted by the 46% significant strike defense inside the UFC Octagon.

5.96: Curtis lands an average of 5.96 strikes per minute, which goes to show that he likes to be a busy fighter with high output.

53%: Curtis has a penchant for avoiding significant strikes launched by opponents, exhibiting a 53% significant strike defense.

92.3%: Perhaps the most impressive metric, Curtis commands a staggering 92.3% takedown defense rate, which is the eighth best on the UFC roster.

Preview: UFC Fight Night 240 ‘Allen vs. Curtis 2’​

Allen vs. Curtis​

TOM FEELY APR 4, 2024 COMMENTS

The Ultimate Fighting Championship makes one more trip to the Apex before UFC 300, and this card is a solid enough appetizer per the usual Apex standards. The main event took a hit when Marvin Vettori pulled out, but the UFC did well to put together an interesting replacement, pitting Brendan Allen against Chris Curtis; it's a rematch of Allen's most recent loss in 2021, and Allen has improved just enough in the interim to make the dynamic interesting in 2024. Past that are two well-matched featherweight fights, as Alexander Hernandez faces another opponent looking to drag him into deep waters in Damon Jackson, and highly-touted French standout Morgan Charriere looks to build on an excellent UFC debut with a win over tough out Jose Mariscal. There's also some lightweight violence on tap, with top prospect Ignacio Bahamondes taking on Christos Giagos, and a matchup between Trevor Peekand Charlie Campbell matched purely for entertainment.

Middleweights​

Brendan Allen (23-5 overall, 11-2 UFC) vs. Chris Curtis (31-10, 1 NC)

Odds: Allen (-198), Curtis (+164)

Allen's overachieved in his UFC career thus far, and with a breakout 2023 now in the rearview mirror, "All In" looks to affirm his status as a potential middleweight title contender here in 2024. Allen impressed on the Contender Series in 2019 and figured to find a niche as an entertaining action fighter, but conventional wisdom was that his aggressive and grappling-focused approach would hit a ceiling with the move up to better competition. But Allen's UFC campaign instead got off to an impressively hot start, as he was able to swamp talented grapplers like Kevin Holland, Tom Breese and Kyle Daukaus, suggesting that Allen could be able to beat anyone in the division if given the opportunity to play his own game. To that end, Allen's momentum finally hit a stop when Sean Strickland and Curtis were able to keep the fight standing and take Allen apart on the feet - but Allen has rebounded in impressive fashion, stringing together six straight victories and winning main events against Andre Muniz and Paul Craig. Allen's striking is much improved and he has some newfound power, but his success has still mostly hinged on his wrestling and grappling advantages; five of those six wins have come via rear naked choke, and Allen's made a lot of hay out-striking grapplers that then fall right into his wheelhouse on the mat. Given that Allen still isn't a defensive whiz on the feet, it'll be interesting to see how those improvements hold up against an opponent that can neutralize his wrestling and force him into a striking match once again - which makes this an ideal time for him to rematch Curtis, who's plateaued since beating Allen at the end of 2021.

Given that seemingly everyone who wins on the Contender Series gets a contract nowadays, it's even more baffling in retrospect that Curtis wasn't brought into the fold after scoring a highlight reel knockout on the show in 2018. That snub was nine years into Curtis's career, during which he had honed a crafty striking-heavy game, and led to one of the many retirements on the long road towards "The Action Man" finally getting his big moment. After a tough three-fight run in the PFL - which also included two more retirements - Curtis eventually went on a heater in 2021, winning four straight fights on the regional scene before getting the long-overdue UFC call as a late replacement, facing Phil Hawes in Madison Square Garden. And Curtis certainly made up for lost time, scoring an impressive knockout win on a big stage, then turning around four weeks later to finish Allen. It seemed like Curtis's well-honed ability to take advantage of whatever openings his opponents presented would carry him up the middleweight ladder in short order, but the division seemed surprisingly quick to adjust to Curtis's set of skills; given that Curtis is quite squat and undersized for the division, opponents found themselves able to frustrate Curtis by either staying at range or smothering him in the clinch. It's been a bit disappointing to see Curtis unable to force a few of those fights open, but a January win over Marc-Andre Barriault was a solid reminder that he can still be the same potent fighter that scored those big wins over Hawes and Allen, even as Barriault showed off his own improvements. One of the keys to Curtis's success is that he's a surprisingly stout defensive wrestler and grappler, which was on display in the first fight against Allen and figures to hold up here; so from there, it's mainly a question as to whether Allen can be patient enough to concede to a slow-paced striking match without getting aggressive and opening himself up for Curtis's accurate counters. It'd be a nice evolution for Allen - if not necessarily an exciting one to watch play out - but given that he hasn't done it yet, this does look like a fight that could play out similarly to the first one, even if Curtis might not be able to land the knockout blow that he did the last time around; the pick is Curtis via decision.

Jump To »
Allen vs. Curtis
Hernandez vs. Jackson
Charriere vs. Mariscal
Bahamondes vs. Giagos
Walker vs. Brzeski
Peek vs. Campbell
The Prelims

Meh noon o’clock start a tad early for me.

But probably better for international viewers.

Reactions: Gio
For hardcore fans like myself this shouldn’t really be a bad card. Potential for a few bangers, some decent prospects and quite a few undefeated records on the line. As far as Apex cards go I’m fairly interested in this one!
Tell us more. Help us get hyped. What's a non-main event fight or fighter you think has got potential?

Somehow this is the first time I've looked at this card, I had absolutely no idea Curtis and Allen were rematching!

What has Curtis done for this shot at #6, his fights have generally sucked.

Back