Should Chris Weidman be in the UFC Hall of Fame?

Should Chris Weidman be in the UFC Hall of Fame?

• Total voters
hBz7ChmKF6bb2F7vzgvxfwFS4UtMcO8Z-1552585200877.jpg

<{vega}>

Didn't this goofball die street racing? That being said the HoF is somewhat arbitrary at times and Chris had a pretty solid career, so why not?

Didn't this goofball die street racing? That being said the HoF is somewhat arbitrary at times and Chris had a pretty solid career, so why not?
Aye... Cut a Testarossa clean in half.

C7TJQGEW3VCMJFISDFGAZZIX4A.jpg

Imagine knowing you're going to he buried next to this though:

118282287_138109638084.jpg

Kill me twice.

No.

Silva, Machida, and Belfort were awesome wins but his career went downhill fast after that.
So justify Forrest, Rashad (no title defense wins for either) and Bisping (only title defense win against a 46-year old on a losing streak). What's the critiera for HoF? By current standards, Chris should get in easily.

So justify Forrest, Rashad (no title defense wins for either) and Bisping (only title defense win against a 46-year old on a losing streak). What's the critiera for HoF? By current standards, Chris should get in easily.

You can make a case for Rashad as he has a ton of wins over big names on his resume.

But yeah, looking back Forrest isn't really HOF worthy either. I think they let him in because he won the first TUF and the legendary war with Bonnar.

Given the standard, The Chris is destined for HOF too, just think the bar needs to be set a little higher.

You can make a case for Rashad as he has a ton of wins over big names on his resume.

But yeah, looking back Forrest isn't really HOF worthy either. I think they let him in because he won the first TUF and the legendary war with Bonnar.

Given the standard, The Chris is destined for HOF too, just think the bar needs to be set a little higher.
Forrest has wins over Shogun and Rampage shortly after they came to the UFC from Pride. I don't think the case is much stronger for Rashad. Machida deserves more than either one IMO, with one title defense at LHW and he fought for the MW belt (gave Weidman a tough 5-round fight). He has wins over Rashad, Bader, Mousasi and many others and should've won against Rampage and Davis IMO. But based on Rashad, Forest and Bisping alone, Weidman should be in the HoF.

Too late. They have several guys in the HOF who did worse than Chris in their prime. FACT

Serra lost several times and was highlight reeled by Shonie Carter in his prime
Anderson Silva is one of the GOATs and was subbed by 2 japanese cans in his prime
Bisping was brutally KO'ed by Vitor and Henderson in his prime

Plenty of chance.

Chris lost three times in row at age 32, 33, and 34. I don't care how anyone slices that sequence, it is not HOF worthy. I grant anyone who competed at the highest levels pre 2005 latitude. If you competed pre 2000 you get even more latitude, something Serra and Anderson both did. Bisping shouldn't be in the HOF (and neither should Serra) but as they say two wrongs doesn't make a right. The UFC needs to tighten up requirements for entry, can't have the Weidman's of the world getting in. Solid champ, not HOF. It sucks there is a few guys there already who shouldn't be but the time for change is now. Legends only from here out.

But based on Rashad, Forest and Bisping alone, Weidman should be in the HoF.

The time for a change is now, we've moved past the point where guys should get in because of their historical significance. TUF got all those guys you named in because they were pivotal to somewhat mainstream acceptance of MMA. Weidman doesn't have the historical significance, took three straight horrific losses at the age of 32, 33, and 34 and in all likely hood will be best remembered as the dude who Anderson broke his leg against within a decade.

The time for a change is now, we've moved past the point where guys should get in because of their historical significance. TUF got all those guys you named in because they were pivotal to somewhat mainstream acceptance of MMA. Weidman doesn't have the historical significance, took three straight horrific losses at the age of 32, 33, and 34 and in all likely hood will be best remembered as the dude who Anderson broke his leg against within a decade.
Age is a pretty arbitrary way to judge these things. All of the Pride HWs everyone raves about here starting falling off the wagon in the 32-34 year age range, too. Granted, Weidman doesn't have a really long resume, but he had wins over a young Hall, Maia and Munoz who was on a 4-fight win streak and almost certain title shot before Chris KO'd him. He also beat a still game Machida who was coming off a win against Mousasi along with beating Anderson twice. And he finished Gastelum shortly before Kelvin gave Israel his toughest challenge to date (this was before the Jan and Poatan fights). His best wins are certainly up there with some other HoF guys. And unfortunately, we don't get to decide when the "time for a change is." We can only go by who they've chosen in the past for HoF. Maybe one day they'll announce more objective criteria, but that hasn't happened yet.

I don't think that's too odd, considering the amount of exposure his merch brought to the sport. They just need separate categories, like other leagues have. Have like a business/promoter wing, or something.

As for Weidman, once you start doing the HOF thing with a very limited talent pool in a very young sport to draw from and put in there, guys like Weidman will make it in by default. There are probably already guys in there with even less notoriety than being the guy to end Silva's streak.
Look, I don't disagree with ANY of what you wrote.
But "Ending Silva's streak" cannot be what puts one into the HoF.
It's the same as automatically adding anyone who played against Jordan and won.

As for the "business wing", that should have been done, but it was not. And IMHO for as log as there's no separation, this looks more like the "Friends of Dana Club" than a true HoF

If you’re a UFC champion that defended your title multiple times you should be a shoe in for the Hall Of Fame. Especially the guy that ended the Anderson Silva era, past prime or not. That’s a monumental moment in UFC history.

short answer: duh

I believe so.

What he did to Anderson Silva and stopped his massive long streak reign in defending the belt, I believe was nothing short of amazing.

Hope he retires as well. He paid his dues and more.

silva-weidman.gif
I mean if Matt Serra got inducted into the UFC HOF for beating GSP whom is one of the GOATs then yes ofc Weidman should be in it one day the day he retires, Serra was just a 1 time UFC Champ but yes he was TUF winner and was the 1st guy in UFC history to win both TUF and a UFC title but Weidman was the first to beat Silva in the UFC, became x4 UFC MW champ and dedicated his life to the sport, won his fights, set records, so yes he should be in it one day.

he fought washed brazilians. so what if he ended a streak. no HOF vote from me.

Weidman will definitely get in when he retires. They pretty much let every champion in. They just go down the line. There might be some they would skip but usually they decline it or that person isn't retired from competition. Sometimes they hold off the induction announcement until an event is in the country. The bar isn't set that high. I think Shogun should be up next when they do the Brazil show.

I will admit some former champions got skipped. Sherk, Bustamante, Frank Shamrock,Rico, Barnett, Big Tim are probably one of those fighters who will not get in. HWs aren't too popular when picking HOFers. I don't think Bork, AA, Cain, Mir, JDS, Werdum are in it either. Holm will probably make it when she retires while Cyborg and GDR will probably sit out.

This is a really stupid question

on second thought, isnt ronda an inductee? and that tee shirt mask guy. so what does it REALLY mean????

angela hill for HOF!

Not sure on this one.

Back