Tapout Lace Training Gloves

rskbreaker

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Saw these online pretty cheap and was thinking about making them my next project. They look pretty easy to make. Anyone have experience with them or any other lace training glove.

155002-LG.JPG

I've got some of the old Thunder Fight Gear lace-up gloves that were made in the Pride style. I liked them a lot.

Keen to see what you can come up with mate!

I've got some of the old Thunder Fight Gear lace-up gloves that were made in the Pride style. I liked them a lot.

I had the same ones and I agree they were great. Rskbreaker I am totally in to see what you come up with, please make em' blue if you can.....for old (Pride)times sake:D

I have the Windy PRIDE style gloves and they are actually very nice. The craftsmanship is what you would expect from Windy and the quality is top notch.

I would really love to see more MMA gloves available in this cut/style.

I had the same ones and I agree they were great. Rskbreaker I am totally in to see what you come up with, please make em' blue if you can.....for old (Pride)times sake:D

I have the Windy PRIDE style gloves and they are actually very nice. The craftsmanship is what you would expect from Windy and the quality is top notch.

I would really love to see more MMA gloves available in this cut/style.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to go ahead and order the gloves, I'm going to have to order a binding foot for my sewing machine to do the piping, I needed one anyways. By the time the gloves and equipment come I should be finished with a few bags I'm working on.

Dim, these are the only colors I have at the moment.
IMG_6467.jpg

985b7afa.jpg

Anyone order from centurymartialarts before. I ordered the gloves Monday and I haven't received any shipping info.

Well those colors will do :) I have ordered from century, they have terrible customer service I got the email saying my stuff was shipped the same day it arrived and it was posted a week prior. Your stuff will come but at random.

Well those colors will do :) I have ordered from century, they have terrible customer service I got the email saying my stuff was shipped the same day it arrived and it was posted a week prior. Your stuff will come but at random.

Terrible customers service, that's good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I have a few ideas as far as colors, see my sig for one of them.

The gloves came in today. Here's a few pics before I dismantle them. They came with a nice little mesh bag. Can anyone clue me in on the foam block on the backhand, what's the purpose? Any reason why it's separate from the foam over the knuckles?

IMG_6965.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

IMG_6944.jpg

IMG_6945.jpg

My only guess with the padding in the Japanese style MMA glove it the padding is on the back of the hand to aid in blocking kicks and other strikes. Just a guess though.

those look so nice . and the segmented back hand also helps making a fist. some mma gloves are realy hard and not flexable and would take forever to break in. The segment helps with closing the fist when the padding is thicker. Newer gloves arent as stiff though. but still most 6oz gloves and 8oz are made with a segment. so maybe its because its helps with closing the fist with thicker padded gloves.

My only guess with the padding in the Japanese style MMA glove it the padding is on the back of the hand to aid in blocking kicks and other strikes. Just a guess though.

those look so nice . and the segmented back hand also helps making a fist. some mma gloves are realy hard and not flexable and would take forever to break in. The segment helps with closing the fist when the padding is thicker. Newer gloves arent as stiff though. but still most 6oz gloves and 8oz are made with a segment. so maybe its because its helps with closing the fist with thicker padded gloves.

Thanks guys. I see both reasons being valid. I'm going to play around with it, see what I can come up with. At first glance, it's one of he easier mma gloves to make. It's similar to the vintage style bag glove, where the foam is sandwiched between two pieces of leather, then they use the binding to cover the stitches, whereas the vintage gloves, the leather is flipped inside out to hide the stitching. Gonna be busy for the next few weeks. I can't wait to get started!

Here's a pic of the glove pieces that go into making this glove. It's a step up from the five or six pieces that went into making the bag glove.

No fancy white leather french seam sofa over here. :p
IMG_7098.jpg

I'm going to work on a shooto style glove while I wait for some sewing equipment to arrive. Here's a rough draft of what I'm going for. I'm going to make a short cuff version and a long cuff for taking kicks. I need thoughts and feedback please. I didn't use a thumb in the design, anyone think it's necessary?

CobraStyleSparring0002.jpg

I took apart my tapout glove and redid it last night with some long foam and laces, just a rough prototype to see how a long cuff would look.

Long cuff
017eef93.jpg

Standard glove short cuff
f5466884.jpg

I'm going to work on a shooto style glove while I wait for some sewing equipment to arrive. Here's a rough draft of what I'm going for. I'm going to make a short cuff version and a long cuff for taking kicks. I need thoughts and feedback please. I didn't use a thumb in the design, anyone think it's necessary?

The thumb is tricky. When its free you can grapple so much easier, but it's exposed and makes it much easier to injure. Personally, my favourite thumb solution is the neoprene thumb sleeve (as opposed to the finger loops for the rest of your digits).

When throwing jabs without thumb padding it's easy to get it banged up or worse very quickly if your training partner slips it and it catches their head. Also on long hooks and crosses at a distance your thumb sometimes gets some impact depending on where your training partners head moves to while you throw the shot.

It's easy for me to sit here and criticize though!

Just my .02

I've got mad respect for guys like you trying to do this kind of thing, it's so much harder than it looks!

No fancy white leather french seam sofa over here. :p

Cheeky bugger. :icon_lol:

Thanks for the feedback. I don't take it as criticism. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Addng the thumb is an eas fix, I was just going off of the design on the tapout gloves.

Cheeky bugger. :icon_lol:

I laughed at that though..:icon_lol: You colonials and your fancy white kangaroo leather sofas.

And Rsk,I would love the chance to try these out,hell I will even pay the shipping over to the UK.I am like a shooto glove addict...I have Fairtex,KO'S,Truth,Cageside and a couple of others.....best I have found for style are the Fairtex and the KO's but the KO's shade it by being like a fraction of the Fairtex price...such a shame Neil never made any after the initial run of them....but he may do more at some stage...*looks round....shhh...it's a secret...*

I got 3 pairs of Golden Gear Shootos on the way to a mate to forward on to me shortly as well...

I laughed at that though..:icon_lol: You colonials and your fancy white kangaroo leather sofas.

And Rsk,I would love the chance to try these out,hell I will even pay the shipping over to the UK.I am like a shooto glove addict...I have Fairtex,KO'S,Truth,Cageside and a couple of others.....best I have found for style are the Fairtex and the KO's but the KO's shade it by being like a fraction of the Fairtex price...such a shame Neil never made any after the initial run of them....but he may do more at some stage...*looks round....shhh...it's a secret...*

I got 3 pairs of Golden Gear Shootos on the way to a mate to forward on to me shortly as well...

Looks like I found myself a product tester! Which would you prefer a short or long cuff? What size are your hands?

I'm probably going to go with a flat foam as opposed to a rounded foam found in a typical shooto glove. I find that the flat foam gives a better striking surface and it's easier and more flexible to open and close your hand.

Looks like I found myself a product tester! Which would you prefer a short or long cuff? What size are your hands?

I'm probably going to go with a flat foam as opposed to a rounded foam found in a typical shooto glove. I find that the flat foam gives a better striking surface and it's easier and more flexible to open and close your hand.

I take a medium in Fairtex shootos,I will get a tape on my hands tomorrow and check it tallies with the the Fairtex sizing chart.My preference is for a short sleeve/cuff as we don't do a whole heap of high kicks here,more boxing and ground focused.Cheers.

Back