Tapout Lace Training Gloves

I take a medium in Fairtex shootos,I will get a tape on my hands tomorrow and check it tallies with the the Fairtex sizing chart.My preference is for a short sleeve/cuff as we don't do a whole heap of high kicks here,more boxing and ground focused.Cheers.

Awesome. All we need to do is get a color scheme down and I'll get to work.

Wow I'd love to buy a pair of gloves from you someday. I really like the Shooto style of gloves and have been waiting for a company to bring them back in lace-ups. I have a few pairs from different brands but myfavorite design has to be the old Combat Sports Shooto lace-ups. The only thing about them is the padding on them sucks.

Wow I'd love to buy a pair of gloves from you someday. I really like the Shooto style of gloves and have been waiting for a company to bring them back in lace-ups. I have a few pairs from different brands but myfavorite design has to be the old Combat Sports Shooto lace-ups. The only thing about them is the padding on them sucks.

I would love to sell you a pair one day. :) What didn't you like about the padding on the combat sports glove?

I would love to sell you a pair one day. :) What didn't you like about the padding on the combat sports glove?

The padding on mine feels like a thick rubber pad, think about squeezing a mouse pad and that is how it feels. Granted, I did buy them used off of eBay so I have no experience with them brand new. I really only bought them because of how they look. Reminds me of a open palm boxing glove.

The padding on mine feels like a thick rubber pad, think about squeezing a mouse pad and that is how it feels. Granted, I did buy them used off of eBay so I have no experience with them brand new. I really only bought them because of how they look. Reminds me of a open palm boxing glove.

I know exactly what you mean. When I opened the tap out gloves, that's exactly what's inside. It makes for a good looking shooto glove, but to me not very practical. My glove probably won't have that distinct bubble look, but I feels natural when making a fist.

Tapout foam

Here's a pic of the glove pieces that go into making this glove. It's a step up from the five or six pieces that went into making the bag glove.

No fancy white leather french seam sofa over here. :p
IMG_7098.jpg

Nice dissection there. For science!

I wonder if there is a PRIDE glove template somewhere... I can't imagine sacrificing a pair if I ever got my hands on some!

w86Fj.jpg

And just for comparison, here's a pair of ISAMI Sengoku, Fighting Road, and M1/V3 gloves.

c3bra.jpg

tZhYR.jpg

6FNh0.gif

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean. When I opened the tap out gloves, that's exactly what's inside. It makes for a good looking shooto glove, but to me not very practical. My glove probably won't have that distinct bubble look, but I feels natural when making a fist.

Tapout foam

As long as the padding is good and the glove is comfortable its all good. The long cuff design looks really interesting, reminds me of Grants.

Im sure theres a pattern out there somewhere. Its just foam and leather, i wouldnt hesitate to crack one open.

Thanks for posting the pics cheesesteak. They helped spark an idea which might make the gloves better. The piping around the glove just wasn't doing it for me. It's not the clean look I wanted and it adds a 1/4" around the glove. I think I'm going to flip the glove inside out like a boxing glove is made and use a colored welt for more customization.

(top)Welted seam VS. (bottom)Piped/Binded seam
a8c66f0c.jpg

Nahveed: that's exactly what I'm going for. Let's see how it looks once it's complete.

Last edited:
Made a quick mini mock-up of the gloves this morning. Basically trying to get the sequence on putting them together and working on the piping. The finger loops should have been first, i forgot to sew them on.:redface: I basically have to tighten up some stitching, piping, measurements.

7cad9db4.jpg

0caefa7d.jpg

82872e33.jpg

Last update before I make the real glove. I have to tighten up a few things, change a few measurements, and redesign and add padding to the lace flaps. I didn't do any piping because I have to take the glove apart for the pattern pieces. I'm going to experiment with a few foam types, I'm going to try to use the same foam Shevlin uses, and I'm going to make one with the original foam from the Tapout glove.

As always feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7651.jpg

IMG_7653.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

I seriously am going to be needing a pair of these.

Really.

No thumb loop?
IMO if there is no thumb loop, isn't there a chance that the gloves may not be as stable as usual?

I seriously am going to be needing a pair of these.

Really.

Thank you sir. You're too kind. Pride blue you say?

Ha,beat you to it!And will you also go for baby blue?:icon_lol:

What no pussycat theme? I was really looking forward to those.

No thumb loop?
IMO if there is no thumb loop, isn't there a chance that the gloves may not be as stable as usual?

Thanks for the input. I based the glove off of one of my Tapout gloves which doesn't have the thumb attachment. Between the laces and the finger loops it doesn't seem like there's much wiggle room, I could be wrong though. That's where my boy Tone C comes in, he'll be putting them to the test and letting me know how I could improve them.

I will be adding a spandex thumb attachment and a padded thumb attachment option in future. Check my sig, I'm trying to trade for a glove with the padded thumb, if not I'll just go ahead and buy one.

You guys sick of me yet? Someone(picky bastard :D) couldn't live without it, so I added a padded thumb.

For the guys I promised d/e bags thanks for your patience, I'll get to them shortly. Between, family, work, and this glove, I've been swamped.

IMG_7676.jpg

IMG_7675.jpg

Back