"Poatan" Pereira vs Prime Rumble

If it's a title fight Rumble is gonna choke. RIP to the guy but it is what it is.

Why? He lost to arguably the greatest LHW of all time. How does that prove he's a choker? Someone like Cerrone is the definition of a choker. He choked even in non-title fights.

Why? He lost to arguably the greatest LHW of all time. How does that prove he's a choker? Someone like Cerrone is the definition of a choker. He choked even in non-title fights.

He had a history of choking at welterweight too.

He had a history of choking at welterweight too.

No he didn't. He had a history of stamina issues at WW (and MW) because he was cutting far too much weight. His weight cutting at WW is the most extreme the sport has ever seen.

anthony-johnsonjpg.jpg

It had to have taken many years off his life.

He was at home at LHW and only a man as elite as DC could deal with him. His two losses to him had nothing to do with choking. He was simply out-skilled by the greatest LHW of all time.

No he didn't. He had a history of stamina issues at WW (and MW) because he was cutting far too much weight. His weight cutting at WW is the most extreme the sport has ever seen.

anthony-johnsonjpg.jpg

It had to have taken many years off his life.

He was at home at LHW and only a man as elite as DC could deal with him. His two losses to him had nothing to do with choking. He was simply out-skilled by the greatest LHW of all time.

Come on in the second fight he choked. I'm not sure what he was trying to do in that fight.

I think Jon Jones may have some claim to being the greatest LHW of all time .

Come on in the second fight he choked. I'm not sure what he was trying to do in that fight.

I think Jon Jones may have some claim to being the greatest LHW of all time .

There was no choke. He just got beaten by a better fighter. He won the first round of the rematch. Dunno what you're talking about "I'm not sure what he was trying to do in that fight". He was clearly trying to win.

JJ isn't in the running for obvious pico reasons.

There was no choke. He just got beaten by a better fighter. He won the first round of the rematch. Dunno what you're talking about "I'm not sure what he was trying to do in that fight". He was clearly trying to win.

JJ isn't in the running for obvious pico reasons.

Even DC said he couldn't believe his luck when Rumble decided to wrestle

Rumble was rocked and dropped to shit in his last fight against a weak bjj guy, and was scared shitless to stand with MW vitor. Alex kills him
Even if you pick Alex you’re cherry picking hard here. The title says prime Rumble…….. not Rumble who took years off, was pushing 40 and got a death sentence weeks later…….. you think Bellator Rumble is the best example?

If you were a Rumble fan you would say “lol he got KO’ed cold by pillow fister Izzy”.

I'd pick Rumble. In his prime, his chin was pretty much beyond reproach. In his entire UFC career, he never got knocked out or even knocked down. He has underrated offensive wrestling and -- most of all -- he is pretty much the poster child for "touch of death in his hands".

Pereira is the superior technical striker, but it's not like he goes through all of his fights looking untouchable. He gets caught and occasionally hurt on the feet, even by lesser opponents. Rumble would be a serious threat to him in any given stand-up exchange given his own power. What makes this interesting, however, are the low kicks. Historically I don't recall anyone ever making concerted effort to go after Johnson's legs. If Alex wipes them out early, it could spell trouble for Anthony's ability to close distance, generate power, and shoot takedowns as the fight goes on.

That being said, I have more faith in Rumble's power, durability, and wrestling than I do in Poatan maintaining distance, keeping the fight standing, and landing enough calf kicks to swing the momentum in his favor. We saw the blueprint on how to beat Johnson: it was to weather the early storm, drag the fight out, drain his gas tank, and then seek the RNC. It wasn't standing with him and trying to outstrike him. I think the fact that Anthony would present the most credible wrestling & top control threat Alex had ever faced on top of the ability to shut his lights out at any given moment would make for a combination that is sufficient to stifle the Brazilian's standard gameplan.

I think its moreso the case he seemed to have a strong mental weakness when put on his back.

Poatan lost to 42 year Jan.

Prime Rumble melts him pretty easily.

Poatan fanboys are too euphoric.

Back