Tenshin/Takeru reach advantage

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
*Once again, thank you to Sherbro who made it possible for other Sherbros to watch this fight afterwards.

So I tried to find this info, but for the life of me, I just couldn't. Does anyone know who had the reach advantage in this fight?

I thought Takeru was going to be taller and longer fighter, but it looked like Tenshin had a reach on him, but I'm not sure.

That jab all day, oh boy. It's criminal that fight was just a three rounder, I'd think Takeru would have come back strong...but I digress.

Does anyone know Tenshin/Takeru's reaches? My Googling doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

Not sure, but I don't think it was reach that allowed Tenshin to land easily, it was his speed/timing and Takeru's poor defense/head movement.

Well, if Tenshin had significant reach on Takeru, that helps. Tons. Especially with speed advantage.

since conor mcgregor ppl talk about reach like it is a major and a key factor to beat someone in combat sports...

knowing how to fight in short distance is essential to any good fighter.

Well, if Tenshin had significant reach on Takeru, that helps. Tons. Especially with speed advantage.
I mean ya if you have a Semmy Schilt like difference in reach, but if their is a reach advantage in this fight it's minimal to the point where it makes no difference, and Takeru is taller so more likely to have it. The components I mentioned are substantially more important than reach.

since conor mcgregor ppl talk about reach like it is a major and a key factor to beat someone in combat sports...

knowing how to fight in short distance is essential to any good fighter.

I mean ya if you have a Semmy Schilt like difference in reach, but if their is a reach advantage in this fight it's minimal to the point where it makes no difference, and Takeru is taller so more likely to have it. The components I mentioned are substantially more important than reach.

I was so going to attach Semmy gif as a response, but I was on my phone so I couldn't and I was too late :(

but does ANYONE know reaches of Tenshin and Takeru?

Reach isn't everything obviously, but when you are on your bike AND want to jab people's face off, reach obviously comes to play.

Now Takeru's defense isn't the best and Tenshin's obviously amazing and may have done it without any reach advantage, but yeah

does anyone know?

Takeru had a 3cm reach advantage at 168cm, Tenshin's reach being 165cm. They list their reaches in the Vimeo link I posted, it is between their weight and record when they are being introduced by the announcer.

Like Snub said, the difference in reach is so minimal that it didn't effect the fight - their skills did.

I wish tenshin had balls so he could go toe to toe against takeru to prove who is the thoughest one, not talking that he is a bad fighter(he is amazing), but he avoided takeru a lot in the clinch and with the "takedowns" in the 3rd round, the fight would have way more action if he stood for himself fighting and not going to the ground just because he was winning on points...

I expected a war, pretty much expected, was the fight to see who was the p4p best japanese kickboxer.

I wish tenshin had balls so he could go toe to toe against takeru to prove who is the thoughest one, not talking that he is a bad fighter(he is amazing), but he avoided takeru a lot in the clinch and with the "takedowns" in the 3rd round, the fight would have way more action if he stood for himself fighting and not going to the ground just because he was winning on points...

I expected a war, pretty much expected, was the fight to see who was the p4p best japanese kickboxer.
I disagree with this assessment, and I think the fault is more on Takeru not Tenshin for how the fight looked. Tenshin was constantly throwing strikes and landing clean, Takeru largely wasn't doing shit that whole fight, especially the first round when all he did was throw front kicks the whole round. In the last round rather than try to counter punch he just smiled as he took clean shots to the face.

Maybe the weight cut zapped his energy, but Takeru didn't show up for a war in this fight like I was expecting him to.

Tenshin won because he was better, plain and simple. Significantly better for that matter. Tekaru made the fight close, and managed to save himself from getting ko’d, by making the fight ugly and dirty.

I disagree with this assessment, and I think the fault is more on Takeru not Tenshin for how the fight looked. Tenshin was constantly throwing strikes and landing clean, Takeru largely wasn't doing shit that whole fight, especially the first round when all he did was throw front kicks the whole round. In the last round rather than try to counter punch he just smiled as he took clean shots to the face.

Maybe the weight cut zapped his energy, but Takeru didn't show up for a war in this fight like I was expecting him to.

It's not too dissimilar from Takeru eating shots from Pettas and then smiling back, the only difference is Pettas is a lot slower than Tenshin, less elusive and a much bigger target to hit. The walk forward, eating punches while smiling tactic worked against Pettas, but it was never going to work on Tenshin.

I thought Takeru would win because he'd put up a high guard to get inside, and once inside he'd overwhelm Tenshin with hooks both to the body and head, but he just went with his usual strategy without a plan B.

Takeru fights with poor defense because of his lack of necessary upper body movement, thats why because of his chin...but all went bananas with the straight left knockdown.

i thought he would fight like he fought Stavros Exakoustidis(the son of mike zambidis lol); leaning back, moving around the power hand, and when he started to find a patter to counterpunch and pressure, start, but backing up with mid and low kicks, especially in the lead leg to drain tenshin hability to move fast forward with his straight punches since he was he guy that supposely was going to get in and out by being the smaller man.

If takeru had high guard and counterpunched to the body and then head, with all said before, he could had win.

but then again, with Germany didnt scored 7 goals on Brazil, we would be at 2014 finals...

Btw i just want to see Tenshin fighting Inoue or Gary Russel so bad...

Takeru had a 3cm reach advantage at 168cm, Tenshin's reach being 165cm. They list their reaches in the Vimeo link I posted, it is between their weight and record when they are being introduced by the announcer.

Like Snub said, the difference in reach is so minimal that it didn't effect the fight - their skills did.

dewayne-johnson-dwayne.gif

Thanks again man! It was much appreciated, doing God's work!

I think it's their heights actually, because that's what their heights are, I don't think the info is out there, no one seems to know and I can't find it

yeah he was on his bike, but I can't blame the guy fighting smart, but I really wish we had two more rounds, I think Takeru would've come on really strong and figure something out maybe.

Tenshin won fair and square, but Tenshin made the fight ugly though, Takeru was trying to knock his big head off his shoulders into a fifth row.

Tenshin won because he was better, plain and simple. Significantly better for that matter. Tekaru made the fight close, and managed to save himself from getting ko’d, by making the fight ugly and dirty.

Tenshin was faster and with longer reach I think. I think he was better, but if Takeru didn't have to cut down to Tenshin's weight class and fight for five rounds, who knows.

Tenshin's jab dictated the fight. I think reach and speed had something to do with it.

It's not too dissimilar from Takeru eating shots from Pettas and then smiling back, the only difference is Pettas is a lot slower than Tenshin, less elusive and a much bigger target to hit. The walk forward, eating punches while smiling tactic worked against Pettas, but it was never going to work on Tenshin.

I thought Takeru would win because he'd put up a high guard to get inside, and once inside he'd overwhelm Tenshin with hooks both to the body and head, but he just went with his usual strategy without a plan B.

It was dem jabs man, I swear, Tenshin must have reach on Takeru WITH speed advantage AND skill obviously, but no one seems to know...kinda odd...

Takeru has mediocre defense, but that jab really threw his offense off as well. Tenshin's better at defending, but if it wasn't for that jab, I think Takeru would have found his rhythm eventually.

Tenshin won fair and square, but Tenshin made the fight ugly though, Takeru was trying to knock his big head off his shoulders into a fifth row.
Ya, he waited until the last round to do that, kind of, but was getting pieced up with clean punches to the face in the process. I suggest you re-watch the fight.

Back