Media Topuria: "You can make more mistakes" when fighting Volkanovski because he's not a finishing threat

Crazy thing to say after Volk just power punched brutalized Holloway, KZ and Yair all in a row.

Volk's the type of guy where if you make one mistake he will punish you every single time you even think about making that mistake again and even Holloway struggled to adjust outside of sheer toughness.

Volk ain’t getting any younger and if he does get KO’d people will be saying it’s because he got his chin cracked foolishly moving up. Still hope he puts on a masterclass once more

When Volk chopped Mendes down with power shots in the pocket I though this dude was a complete killer

He then went on to fight a bit more methodical which led him to a lot of decisions, he was also facing top-flight competition so much harder to fight thinking you can stop everyone

At the end of the day it’s Topuria who’s gonna have to take all the risks in the fight, and Volk just has to hit cruise-control for the most part and try not to get caught

Ya, it feels like he stopped watching Volk fights at Max 2.

It would be like saying Ige is a safe boxer with no power - I know because I watched his fights from 2017-20.

Good luck sir, but I got some substantial entertainment dollars on Volk at -130, and I’m feeling pretty damn good about it.

Yea maybe it’s a little hard to grab finishes when you fight max holloway who has one of the best chins in the lighter weight classes‘ history. Even ortega has a very good chin.
He finished mendes, he finished yair, he pulverised tkz and destroyed whatever was left of his chin, he hurt max more than anyone except Dustin really. He’s light on his feet becuase that’s his style, but when he doesn’t need to dance around he can put people away

He better hope Volkanovski is over the hill, feeling the effects of Father Time and that Islam KO. If not, he's the one who made the mistake running his mouth and pulling some of these antics. Pulling for Volkanovski here. I don't dislike Ilia and he's talented, but Volkanovski would be making history with this title defense at his age and the weight class; and he's just an awesome guy.

Interesting take if Hendricks said that of GSP

It's true that you can make more mistakes with Volk but if you can't make adjustments mid fight against him then he is just going to outclass you. We haven't seen any fights where Topuria had to make adjustments. He fought guys that were always going be there at the end of his punches. No offense to Emett but he is just an older version of Topuria. They are both boxer/grapplers. I will admit Topuria is way slicker than Emett on the ground but he doesn't use it in his fights.

Back