Media Topuria: "You can make more mistakes" when fighting Volkanovski because he's not a finishing threat

Crazy thing to say after Volk just power punched brutalized Holloway, KZ and Yair all in a row.

He had a straight forward decision over Holloway. You can say he out classed him in footwork and output, but Max was never remotely in danger of being put away. If anything this fight highlights Topuria's point - Volk beat Max cleanly for 5 rounds and never hurt him. Forget dropping him he couldn't even wobble the guy.

Zombie retired literally one fight later, didn't earn that title shot against Volk, and didn't belong in there. Max would legit shut him off. Think this also highlights Toporia's point.

Volk is good at everything and one of the best point fighters of all time. He hurts guys over time with a lot of output, footwork, chipping away etc. He's not a hitter or a show stopper and nobody is worrying about getting submitted.

He had a straight forward decision over Holloway. You can say he out classed him in footwork and output, but Max was never remotely in danger of being put away. If anything this fight highlights Topuria's point - Volk beat Max cleanly for 5 rounds and never hurt him. Forget dropping him he couldn't even wobble the guy.

Zombie retired literally one fight later, didn't earn that title shot against Volk, and didn't belong in there. Max would legit shut him off. Think this also highlights Toporia's point.

Volk is good at everything and one of the best point fighters of all time. He hurts guys over time with a lot of output, footwork, chipping away etc. He's not a hitter or a show stopper and nobody is worrying about getting submitted.

This is a bit of a disingenuous post. In reality this is what happened:

No one knocks out Max Holloway, but Volk brutalised Max Holloways face way worse than anyone else has ever done. Demonstrating that he has significant power.

He did stop Zombie with punches, and left Zombies face looking like a mess. The reason this is impressive is because it is very hard to stop Zombie. And I would say its even more impressive than Holloway knocking Zombie out in the following match given the context at hand. The context being that when Holloway stopped him, Zombie threw all caution into the wind and just rushed in there trying to get a finish and got finished himself. When Volk stopped Zombie it was methodical with Zombie still trying to compete.

And, as you neglect to mention, Volk did stop Yair with punches. Being the first one to do so in 6years.

Moreover, Volk as did drop Islam in the 5th, and had his face looking busted up.

It thus seems inaccurate to claim Volk does not posses significant enough punching power to capitalise on opponents mistakes.

Last edited:
Every time this asshole opens his mouth, I want to see him get the shit kicked out of him even more... really looking forward to Volk smashing this dork on the weekend.

Yeah it’s easy to say he doesn’t have much power when he’s been fighting the best guys for years now. A lot easier to finish the Bryce Mitchell’s than the max Holloways lol

He's not wrong. I am always surprised when some fighters avoid lame shots instead of walking through them to land their own.

Haha yeah you do that champ.

In comparison to Topuria? Yeah, I can see his point of view. You can't afford to make too many mistakes against a heavy handed finisher with killer instinct.

If Volk isn't damaged goods from his last fight, he should be able to evade most of Topurias power shots.

Uhhh.....hasn't Volk finished the last two or three fights he's been in? What the hell kind of statement is Topuria making here?

That's not a very fair statement since Volk doesn't rely on his power, but it isn't the most inaccurate statement I've ever heard either. Volk's cardio is very dangerous though.

This is a bit of a disingenuous post. In reality this is what happened:

No one knocks out Max Holloway, but Volk brutalised Max Holloways face way worse than anyone else has ever done. Demonstrating that he has significant power.

Dustin Poirer had Max in substantially more trouble than Volk did. He hurt him and had him in serious trouble.

You are a moron or liar if you are saying "Volk brutalized" Max in that unanimous decision with 10-9 rounds, zero knock downs. Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds to people who watch MMA fights?

He did stop Zombie with punches, and left Zombies face looking like a mess. T

Max knocked Zombie scary unconscious in his next fight. This is literally highlighting Topuria's point that Volk is not a hitter, he is a volume fighter. This is common sense and I cannot believe I'm typing it out.

If you're unaware, fighters in their last fights before retirement tend to be bad losses. Welcome to MMA.

Gonna be hilarious if Volk wins. Topurias setting himself up for a massive fall.

Yair: Gets finished
Max: Historic chin, still gets beaten to a pulp.
KZ: Gets finished
Ortega: Saved by the bell at least once. Fight could've been stopped towards the end of rd. 3 without controversy.

Topuria, while very dangerous, does leave openings. He's kidding himself if he doesn't think Volk can knock him out. Jai Herbert didn't get too far away.

Wishing he would just finish you already might be worse though

I'd be happy if volk doesn't finish this fucking clown and instead humiliates him for 5 rounds.

Unless the KO has completely shattered Alex’s chin and/or confidence, he’ll put an absolute masterclass beating on this arrogant young fool.

Topuria hasn’t fought anyone on the level of guys which Alex has dominated over and over again, never mind also almost beating the undefeated P4P king from the division above (with a full camp, not the silly last minute fight).

Unless he’s super compromised, Volk will embarrass him after all the cringey talk and belt snatching.

Lol. Can’t wait for Volk to humble this clown.

The fact that Top had to copy Conor's old press conference antics, shows he's a rookie.

Aside from English being his 4th language, he needs to just perform in the cage cause his mouth writes checks his ego can't cash.

50/50 fight with the edge to the veteran Volk.

Back