Has Alex Surpassed Izzy's legacy?

he still had to win those fights, and it's not like they were against cans. 62.5% of all Alex's UFC fights (5) were against top 5 ranked opponents and former/future/current champions. For reference Islam only has 2 top 10 wins.
He fought 1 guy who would take him down.

90% of kickboxers would do well under those circumstances at 205

Alex's career has been more of a spectacle, but Izzy's title reign and overall body of work is far superior.

IMO Alex. They're 1-1 at MW with both fights being stopped. So they're even in that regard.

Alex went up in weight and won the title and that is something Izzy could not do. And he has defended that title. And I think that matters more than defenses.
Not even Alex is up by 2

Yes

He beat Jan and Strictland

Izzy lost to both

You can never completely clean out any division, there is always new hungry up and coming fighters waiting to get their shot.

I agree with that.

Also to put context in to my post and what I was replying too - Alex was not a young contender, he was in his mid-30's and had an established history with Izzy. Really unique scenario in MMA

Yes.

Izzy’s claim to fame was “best striker in the UFC”.

Poatan came in and knocked him out. He then went up and beat Jan, who Izzy could not beat, then won the LHW belt, which Izzy could not do.

Now the “best striker in the UFC” is undoubtedly Poatan.

Yes.

what is Izzy's legacy ? being the second best MW reign in the UFC ?

Alex is the only MW champ to ever get LHW gold. literally nobody has ever done that.
He became a 2 division champ in 7 ufc fights, izzy was just a MW champ after 7 fights.
they are 3-1

Alex has been taken down in every fight except for the 2nd Izzy fight, Strickland, and Hill. Each time he's been able to defend himself on the ground and demonstrate the ability to recover back to his feet. He was able to do so against Jan in high altitude, and he was able to do it against Jiri. People are acting like Alex is the kickboxing version of James Toney ffs.

Taken down primarily strikers lol. You made my point.

I don't know if surpassed is the right word for MMA legacies. Izzy did a lot. But Alex galvanized it in an entirely different but also monumentally huge way. His time has just been so short in the sport. Longevity does count for something. If we're just talking as a combat sports athlete in general encompassing all forms of fighting, yes he's definitely above. But MMA Izzy's resume still holds a ton of weight. But the longer he's out of the spot light alex is closing the distance fast, if he's not already on equal footing.

Brazilian sherdoggers, what's the name of this song?

I remember a decade ago, a bjj buddy of mine would play this randomly during training and our Brazilian instructor would straight away dance and ignore whatever he was doing/teaching.

That loss to Sean Strickland isn't helping.

Alex Pereira winning belt + spectacular memorable performance at a UFC (insert number multiplied by 100) isn't helping Izzy's legacy either.

Izzy vs Du Plessis could be a great way to boost up Izzy's repuation rn, depending on how the pre fight advertisement for that card is delivered.

Showdown in Africa anyone?

join date 2011, so you are probably a grown man

Posting complete utter nonsense because you got rocks in your head

"Destroyed Izzy"

Reality - Izzy is so destroyed he's joking with Jan

Pathetic bro, a grown adult making up delusions in his head because he does'nt like a fighter hes never met

Jan totally shut Izzy down. Strickland also humiliated Izzy. Alex beat those guys. Plus beat Izzy 3 times. I don’t get how in the world you would be put inferior to someone you beat 3 times and beat the guus that beat the dude lol. There isn’t even a debate…

Back